Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled
Requirements for tax relief for the elderly and disabled:
- Must be 65 years old or older or permanently and totally disabled.
- Property must be in the name of the person applying and must be their only home.
- The annual household income must be under $50,000.
- Financial worth of the applicant and all other persons living in the home must be under $160,000 excluding the value of the dwelling and five acres of land.
- Tax relief is based on the prior year’s income and financial worth at prior year’s end.
- Applications are taken January 1st through March 15th of each year.
Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled needs to be applied for annually and can either be done in person or by mail. As part of the application, individuals are required to list their household income and net worth as of December 31st of the previous year. A copy of all documentation showing household income and net worth will be needed in order to process your application. This includes copies of Social Security statements, W-2's, bank statements, retirement accounts, etc.
Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled Application
(Applications for tax relief for the elderly and disabled require a notarized signature. All staff in the Commissioner of the Revenue's office are notaries, please feel free to come by the office Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30PM to have your signature notarized.)
For more information about this program please see Fluvanna Code Sec 20-3 (Real Estate Tax Exemptions for Certain Elderly and Disabled Persons).
Real Estate Tax Relief for Veterans
Qualifications for tax relief for veterans:
- Disability of Veteran must be 100% service-connected AND permanent AND total
- Residence must be Veteran's primary residence (Photo ID and copy of a utility bill may be requested)
- Spouse (if applicable)
- Deceased Veteran (if applicable) must have died on or after January 1, 2011
- Surviving Spouse (if applicable) must not be remarried
- Surviving Spouse (if applicable) must continue to reside in primary residence
Required Documentation for tax relief for veterans:
Certification of disability being
- 100% Service-connected
- (If applicable) Copy of Veteran's death certificate showing death occurred on or after January 1, 2011
For more information about this program please see Article X, Section 6-A of the Constitution of Virginia.